Customer Stratification” has the power to enable us to transform our company from being product-driven to customer-driven. It has helped us understand our customers in greater detail, enabling us to optimize our selling resources, which will result in an improved ROI.
CustomerSTRAT - A Customer Stratification Platform
CustomerSTRAT – Unleash the Power of Customer Data:
In Customer Stratification, the best-selling book we co-authored and published through the NAW, we stress that NOT ALL CUSTOMERS ARE CREATED EQUAL. The problem is that most distributors have a difficult time convincing their sales force to act on this wisdom. The primary reason? Most customer profitability models are highly complex, making it difficult for the average salesperson to understand those models, let alone act upon them when working with customers. Our groundbreaking work turned this on its head by offering a systematic, easy-to-implement, customer profitability model that any salesperson can understand, embrace, and implement.
Since its inception, we have implemented the model across hundreds of distributors and manufacturers in the B2B industry, across verticals ranging from building materials, HVAC, industrial, plastics, foodservice, oil and gas, electrical, electronics, grocery chains, and chemical, to name a few.
Our approach is rooted in developing sustainable analytics capability rather than a one-time short-term model. Are they two different things? We believe so, based on researching more than 250 implementations of analytics engagements. Since publishing customer stratification in 2011, we have helped hundreds of distributors implement the model. Over the years, we studied those implementations and asked the critical question: What determines if firms would sustain benefits (customer retention, profitability, share growth, etc.) of implementing analytics?
It’s not just the quality of the tool or technology or software, though it’s part of the mix. Firms that sustained the benefits of analytics have integrated three critical capitals – Process, Technology and Organization to PEOPLE by creatively developing analytics as a capability. Our platform is the result of this key learning.
Customer Stratification Applications
Customer Stratification Benefits
- Acts as a sales management platform
- A bridge to devise sales person-specific goals
- A common language to drive profitable growth
- A tool to develop customer-focused culture
- A growth playbook for territory growth
- Acts as an advisor for analytics-based strategies
- PREDICT at-risk CORE customers
- PROVIDE customer-specific growth plans
- PERSUADE non-core customers to CORE
- Acts as a compass for Profitable Growth
- Establish a common language for focused actions
- Helps monitor sales force productivity and performance
- Focus on leading indicators than lagging indicators